Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Music of my life

I have recently discovered Pandora Radio. Actually, I should clarify, I have known about this Internet radio but have recently begun using it.

When I search the "stations" to find music to listen to, I have discovered a pattern. I really like two basic types of music. I like singer/songwriter and folk music. A few of the "stations" that have become my favorite so far are Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Mary Black, John Denver, Third Day and Hillsong. I have discovered many songs that were very influential in my love of music and writing.

Growing up music was very important in our house. I remember my sister and I listening to an album of the balalaika and the soundtrack of Roger & Hammerstein's Cinderella. We would listen to Cinderella, sing and reenact the songs. I began writing music in my early teens and I know that John Denver's music had a great impact on my style of songwriting.

Mary Black and Mary Chapin-Carpenter both were my favorites in the late 1980's. I was fortunate to hear Mary Black in Ireland before she even had any records here in America. I was lucky to hear Mary Chapin-Carpenter many times for free in Atlanta as she was beginning her career. Both of these women are more folksy but have experimented with rock and other genres of music. What is the music has influenced you?

Here is one of the first songs that I fell in love from Mary Black.


No comments: