Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cooking with a Passion




Any one who knows me has the knowledge that I love to cook. I began cooking when I was about nine helping my mom cook dinner. By the time I was thirteen I was preparing whole meals for my family when my mom was away. She spend most of 1975-76 away as part of the "Peanut Brigade".

I actually got my love of cooking from my mom which is kind of ironic. By the time I was thirteen, she actually hated to cook. She had been cooking since she was thirteen and just didn't enjoy cooking any longer. I remember on Saturday afternoons, when I was seven or eight watching Julia Child and a few other cooking shows on PBS with my mother. Of course, back in the day we only had four stations to choose from and our family only had two televison sets all black and white. We were forced to watch whatever our parents wanted to watch most of the time.

Although at the time I felt like I was being tortured by watching these cooking shows instead of a cartoon show or a comedy, I guess it began my love of cooking. Now a days with the advent of cable and the internet, there are so many sources to look for inspiration. I love to watching cooking shows, try new reciepes and improvise on the ones I like.

My husband, Paul, has tried to loose weight since I have known him but has had a hard time as many of us do. He has now discovered the secret for himself. It is salads. He does not snack but has a huge salad for dinner. I smoke turkey breasts or venison roasts every couple of weekends to give him something to put on the salads. I try to mix up the veggies we include on the salad so it doesn't become to boring. To this date he has lost almost forty pounds.

Earlier this week I watched an episode of Grill It with Bobby Flay. In this episode, he had a guest cook who did a grilled strawberry shortcake. Bobby had a corn salad with a green onion vineratte. I tried both last night and they were delicious. It never ceases to amaze me what you can cook on a grill. Grilling gives a whole another flavor to many fruits and vegetables.

No comments: