Sunday, August 23, 2009

Servant's Heart





I have known for a long time that I was called to serve people. My first memory was when I was five years old. Around Thanksgiving, my kindergarten class from Decatur 1st Baptist had our first "craft" lesson. We used scrap material to cut and make pictures. The body of the "man" was made from an old sheet from my bed. I assembled my "master" piece proudly and showed my kindergarten teacher and mom. They both asked "What is it?" I proudly said "this dinner is for someone who is sick". Even back then I loved to help people and thought of others.

I have kept that piece of art work for forty years. It reminds me of the beginning of my walk with my Lord. I know that I was called from that tender age to be a servant to His people. My heart always sings when I am able to help someone and let them know that they are loved even if I don't know them personally.

My journey has been a long one and not without it's ups and downs. That twisted path has made me the person I am today. As I read in a book I've been reading, every one's journey is their own and often it is in God's time that we move forward and not ours. Often we need to experience things good and bad to deepen our relationship with him. I am glad that I have a tangible part of my beginning journey to remind me where I've been. At this point in my journey, I have learned that I am serving people but ultimately I am called to serve my Lord Jesus. It is that service that brings my heart joy and a song in my heart.

1 comment:

Jess said...

That is SO sweet! And so cool that you still have it as a remembrance and incentive!