Saturday, October 10, 2009

An Impact on my life

With the passing of Coach Maloof last week, the St. Pius community remembered his impact on the school. Coach Maloof has been credited for giving the school a sense of community. Coach Maloof always said do your best with your God given talents.

This has made me reflect on how St. Pius impacted my life. Of course the first impact, was when I was entering high school. I wanted to go to Marist but my mom told me that if I attended Marist, I would not be able to do any extra curricular activities. I decided to attend St. Pius.

So how did St. Pius impact my life? It was there that I accepted Christ. At Pius, I learned that I could be myself and be accepted for myself. Two specific situations stand out for me. The first is being offered marijuana and turning it down. The folks that offered it to me did not make fun of me but instead treated me just the same and never asked me again. The second situation was when a classmate offered me a copy of a test that he and I were supposed to take as a make-up. (We were both sick the day of the actual test.) I told him no and then wrestled what to do with the information. I eventually told the teacher and even though the entire class was punished. I was respected for my decision to stand up for what was right.

I have always said that God has led me down a path that has made me the Christian I am today. My walk with Christ began at St. Pius and the lessons that I learned have kept me on that path. Where else would you study the Old Testament for an entire quarter and have a final to retell the basic stories with only key words to guide you. That class gave me the foundation for my bible reading that I currently enjoy.

So thank you God for giving me St. Pius as a foundation to my faith.

No comments: